There are certain milestones due by certain dates that we require you to submit, whether in person or online. This is both so you will have a development schedule you can follow
as well as so we can track your progress.
Milestone 0 - Teams and Idea Brainstorming
Due 1/6/2016 at 11:59 PM, via http://go.6148.io/m0submit
This year in 6.148, we will be using Github for milestone and final submissions and to make it easier for you to turn in your source code. We will create repositories for each team upon completion of Milestone 0, using the information submitted to us. If you are not familiar with Git, check out the workshop given on Monday, ask on Piazza, or come to office hours.
- Form a team (up to three people). If you would like to compete for prizes, make sure your team is eligible according to the rules.
- If you are unable to form a team by then, please check Piazza for open team member requests or email staff if that doesn't work either.
- Have each team member log onto github.mit.edu by simply visiting the site and authenticating with certificates (there is no password login process).
- If any of your team members do not have MIT certificates, then instead make sure every team member has an account on github.com. We will create your repository on there instead. Official cross-registered students should be able to obtain an MIT certificate and use github.mit.edu.
- Come up with 10 ideas that fit this year's theme
- Submit your team information and 10 ideas at TBA
After Milestone 0 is due, the staff will create your github repositories, whether on github.mit.edu or github.com, and email them to you and your team members. There are many of you and few of us, so they will likely take a day or so, please be patient.
Some important points:
Milestone 1 - Project Pitches
Due Saturday 1/09/16 - Sunday 1/10/16 - Signup at http://go.6148.io/m1signup
For this milestone, you will choose an idea for your website. You will then flesh out the idea as well as draft some initial designs for the website, before you do any coding. You and your team will give a casual pitch of your website idea and designs to staff and sponsors for review and feedback. This is not a formal presentation, it's just to ensure you are on the right track with your idea and design, and for you to ask questions directly in person about your website.
We will have time slots available between 1PM and 5PM on both Saturday, January 09 and Sunday, January 10 in Room 32-044 (Basement of Stata Center). You will have 3 minutes to present a quick, casual pitch, followed by some questions and feedback from staff. Signups are available TBA.
Please make sure your pitch contains the following content, as well as a few slides with your initial designs and mockups. There will not be any projectors in the room, so please bring your laptop to show them.
- Introduce yourselves.
- Tell us how your idea fits the theme, and what problem it addreses.
- Briefly describe your target demographic.
- What are the killer features of your website?
- Create some initial designs and mockups for your website (at least 2) - this can be done using any wireframe software, Adobe Photoshop, Sketch, etc.
- If you are currently in the Rookie Division and would like to switch to the main competition, please let us know, as this is the last day you can do so.
If no members of your team can make it to the time slots we have listed, please email staff and we can help you schedule a make-up session.
Please note that after presenting your project pitch, the staff will no longer approve any changes to which division you are competing in.
Milestone 2 - Minimal Viable Product
Due Tuesday 1/19/16 at 6:00 PM via http://go.6148.io/m2submit
For this milestone, we would like to see that you've made significant progress towards your final product by looking at your MVP. You may wish to review the technical requirements to ensure that your site meets these requirements.
Remember, your MVP should capture the essence of your application and include your most important or compelling features. As such, your app should go beyond a simple skeleton or scaffold. Users should be able to get the essence of your application via a fully-functional important feature.
You should have, at minimum:
- A login system. You should be able to distinguish between the case where no one is logged in and the case where a specific user is logged in using a personal username/password combination or a third-party API such as Facebook.
- Dynamic content. The site should be able to display different content on the same page under different situations.
- A database with a "significant" amount of data. We're not going to define number of lines or entries, as long as your database contains enough data to satisfy the two requirements above and be able to generate sufficiently different content given different situations to support your features.
- Your most important or compelling feature implemented. While you may decide to forgo some stylistic or other minor details, the vast majority of the functionality should be present.
In addition answer the following questions:
- What additional features do you wish to implement? How far along on those features are you?
- What technologies are you using for the back-end? Include any frameworks if relevant.
- What is the main browser you are targeting? Must be one of our supported browsers.
- What implementation unknown / risks are you still facing? Consider this an exercise of imagination, not a test of confidence.
- If there are ANY changes to the composition of your team, please let us know.
Please note that after 1/19/16 at 6PM, the staff will no longer approve any team changes.
Please submit your Milestone 2 at http://go.6148.io/m2submit
Final Competition Submission
Due Tuesday 1/26/16 at 11:59 AM (yes, that says AM)
For Competing Students
Main Division Submission at http://go.6148.io/final-main
Rookie Division Submission at http://go.6148.io/final-rookie
Please submit your team's website at the appropriate form above. Note: this form will close at exactly 11:59 AM (in the morning, so we can get back to you earlier!); submissions will not be accepted after the form has closed.
Please note that if, at 11:59 AM, your site is broken in any capacity (link doesn't work, login doesn't work, site crashes, etc), your team will not be eligible to advance to the semifinalist round. For this reason, we recommend that you do not change the site while we are judging, since if it breaks we will not allow your team to move on as a semifinalist.
Additionally, please be aware of the following if you are chosen for a semifinalist:
- If your team has advanced as semifinalist in either the Rookie or Main divisions, you will be notified by 8 PM on Tuesday.
- Semifinalists will have a 15 minute time slot on Wednesday, January 28 from approximately 8:30 AM to 4 PM to give a 5 minute presentation to the judges and answer questions about their site. We recommend that your presentation explain:
Your presentation may be structured however you like but must include a live demo of your features. More information about the presentation will be included in the semifinalist announcement.
- What problem does your site aim to solve?
- How does your site fit the theme?
- Why is there a need for this problem to be solved?
- Why does your site solve this problem well?
- Sign-ups for the presentations will be sent out 30 minutes after the semifinalist announcement and will be first-come first-served.
- Your team is allowed to make changes to your site after the final submission deadline. However, if your site is broken when we look at it, you will not have a second chance, so make updates at your own risk.
- Semifinalists will also give a short presentation at the Award Ceremony and must attend a mandatory Winner's Luncheon from 12pm - 2pm on Friday.
For non-competing students
For Credit Submission at http://go.6148.io/final-creditonly
If you are not competing in the competition, we ask that you still submit your website by Tuesday 1/26/16 at 11:59 AM. If you are unable to make this deadline, please email the staff explaining why and we can give you an extension.